Find and book great restaurantsFind a Restaurant
|Address:||1 Upper James Street, London W1F 9DF|
|Tel:||020 3145 1000|
|Price: £60.00||Wine: £26.50||Champagne: £66.00|
|Opening Hours:||Mon-Fri 12N-3pm 6-11pm Sat 5.30-10pm|
6 of 10 people found this review helpful.
I want to love BBR. The décor and concept is fantastic. I love anything by David Collins and this one is no exception, especially the downstairs lounge bar which feels exactly like an Orient Express train carriage. The venue creates a great combination of a sense of glamour and fun all at the same time, yet is tremendous value on the food, with burgers at £12 and top mains at £17.
Service was excellent with nice touches like a newspaper immediately provided whilst waiting for other diners. The food was well executed, if a little unexciting. The menu is a strange mish-mash of British staples seemly scattered at random across the menu. I did struggle to find dishes I wanted for dinner.
This restaurant could be so brilliant if they just made a few simple tweaks. My suggestions are:
1. Drop the one menu all day idea. It looks awful and is pointless.
2. Expand the list of traditional starters and mains to give lunch and dinner customers a broader range and to compete on an even footing with the local alternatives
3. Think about sexing up the food a bit. The British staples don’t live up to the glamour of the surroundings
4. Think about how difficult the food can be to eat. As I struggled to find a starter I had to plump for a chicken salad with lentils. It came in a tiny bowl with the chicken on top. As I tried to press down on the chicken with my fork, lentils went all over the place. One for a plate me thinks
5. Lose the pink uniforms. They’re gross
Overall – I highly recommend it. It’s a great place despite my gripes and good for a weekend night out. Your mates will be impressed. Top tip – The gorgeous bar is open to 3am and walk-ins accepted. Better than a private members club.