Jobs at Square Meal
Square Meal is a young, dynamic, fast-growing company with market-leading products across a full range of platforms – from websites, apps and exhibitions to guides and magazines. It has a reputation for accurate but entertaining restaurant commentary built over 26 years and its community of high-spend diners is unequalled in the UK, making approximately £150m of restaurant reservations online and by telephone annually. Its Venues & Events division has a market-leading position in print magazines and online, as well as an award-winning exhibition attracting over 7,000 event organizers and bookers each year. Sister operation Imbibe is the market-leading drinks information provider for the UK on-trade, with a magazine, website and wine competition, plus an exhibition at Olympia which attracts 10,000 drinks professionals.
With 50 people in our London offices, just south of the river in Vauxhall, there has never been so many diverse and exciting opportunities available. We are always on the lookout for talented, bright people who share our enthusiasm for excellence in this fun and lively industry, and want to work in a creative, go-getting, happy environment.
If you are interested in working (or writing) for Square Meal please email your CV to email@example.com for editorial positions, and
firstname.lastname@example.org for media sales positions and email@example.com for marketing or events positions. Specific jobs we are recruiting for at the moment are listed below.
Social Media Manager
We are looking for a social guru to join our in house ecommerce and marketing teams. Over the last 3 years, our social following has grown hugely and effective management of our various channels has become an essential part of our business.
Reporting to the Head of Online, the Social Media Manager has a wide range of responsibilities. They will be able to demonstrate success in a previous role, an enthusiasm for digital communications and excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Manage, develop & monitor all social output for Square Meal, Imbibe & SWA
• Establish and develop the tone and content of output appropriate for each brand and channel
• Ensure we are using the appropriate social channels
• Monitor networks and respond where appropriate
• Write & schedule posts across all networks
• Work with:
• Editorial teams - develop and maintain their social output
• Marketing team - develop and support campaigns for our brands
• Sales teams - support promotions for clients
• Identify and develop links with influencers, bloggers etc.
• Manage blogger reviews on Square Meal, coordinate “Blogger of the Week” campaign and regular blogger events, and various other outreach activities
• Live social overage of our events and shows
• Social advertising / promotions:
• Manage paid campaigns on Twitter & Facebook
• Develop and run social competitions
• Work with Sales and Head of Online to optimise use of custom audiences and paid opportunities
• Ongoing analysis of social activity & reporting back to sales/marketing on specific campaigns
• Provide regular reports on social status by brand and campaign
• Monitor and identify competitors in our space
• A digital native – enthusiastic and knowledgeable
• Able to demonstrate successful execution of social campaigns and at least 2 years’ appropriate experience
• Have ability to write in a variety of tones and voices, but above all, in a relaxed, conversational tone
• Highly motivated – will need to collaborate with all parts of the business to achieve goals and ensure correct messages and information is relayed
• Interested in the hospitality industry, especially food, drinks and events
• Exceptional attention to detail
• Technically proficient, and able to use all common software packages to prepare posts (e.g. Photoshop).
£ competitive, dependant on experience.
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with a covering letter to apply.
Junior Digital Designer
We are currently looking for a talented part-time graduate/junior digital designer to join our expanding Ecommerce Team in our London office.
Reporting to the Web Design Manager, the role includes creative design and production for Square Meal and Imbibe.
• To produce innovative, user-centred html solutions that are modern, multifaceted and incorporate all of the elements of a great experience while remaining within style guidelines.
• Projects will span a range of online content such as Web banners, social media content and emails.
• Maintain a sophisticated sense of typography and an understanding of its relevance to a good design.
• Sourcing and retouching images as required.
• Supporting the eCommerce team with meeting the wider business priorities.
Essential Skills & Requirements
• The candidate will have an awareness of trends and new ideas and be able to interpret them into fantastic creative whilst possessing the ability to communicate the concepts articulately is needed.
• Our environment is often fast paced so quick turn-around on projects and meeting stringent deadlines while having the ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities is a must.
• The right candidate must have a design related degree and a minimum of one year work experience and be able to demonstrate solid experience of working across a range of digital media projects.
• You must be proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver.
• Ability to work quickly from concept creation to finished product and be detail-oriented, deadline driven, and able to multi-task with solid organisational and time management.
• A sense of humour, a passion for modern digital design and an interest in food and the UK restaurant industry is a plus.
This role might also suit someone returning to work. If you have a portfolio which can showcase inspiring and exciting graphic design then please send your CV and two examples of your best work to email@example.com.
The various departments at Square Meal often have openings for internships. While these positions are unpaid, you will gain invaluable hands-on experience of working for a market-leading media owner with products including magazines, websites, exhibitions and events. A successful internship can result in a positive reference for your CV and sometimes a more permanent role, if there is a suitable vacancy.
We currently have internship vacancies in the following departments:
Marketing - contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Events - contact email@example.com