Jobs at Square Meal
Square Meal is a young, dynamic, fast-growing company with market-leading products across a full range of platforms – from websites, apps and exhibitions to guides and magazines. It has a reputation for accurate but entertaining restaurant commentary built over 26 years and its community of high-spend diners is unequalled in the UK, making approximately £150m of restaurant reservations online and by telephone annually. Its Venues & Events division has a market-leading position in print magazines and online, as well as an award-winning exhibition attracting over 7,000 event organizers and bookers each year. Sister operation Imbibe is the market-leading drinks information provider for the UK on-trade, with a magazine, website and wine competition, plus an exhibition at Olympia which attracts 10,000 drinks professionals.
With 50 people in our London offices, just south of the river in Vauxhall, there has never been so many diverse and exciting opportunities available. We are always on the lookout for talented, bright people who share our enthusiasm for excellence in this fun and lively industry, and want to work in a creative, go-getting, happy environment.
If you are interested in working (or writing) for Square Meal please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org for editorial positions, and
email@example.com for media sales positions and firstname.lastname@example.org for marketing or events positions. Specific jobs we are recruiting for at the moment are listed below.
Junior Digital Designer
We are currently looking for a talented graduate/junior digital designer to join our expanding Ecommerce Team in our London office.
Reporting to the Web Design Manager, the role includes creative design and production for Square Meal and Imbibe.
• To produce innovative, user-centred html solutions that are modern, multifaceted and incorporate all of the elements of a great experience while remaining within style guidelines.
• Projects will span a range of online content such as Web banners, social media content and emails.
• Maintain a sophisticated sense of typography and an understanding of its relevance to a good design.
• Sourcing and retouching images as required.
• Supporting the eCommerce team with meeting the wider business priorities.
Essential Skills & Requirements
• The candidate will have an awareness of trends and new ideas and be able to interpret them into fantastic creative whilst possessing the ability to communicate the concepts articulately is needed.
• Our environment is often fast paced so quick turn-around on projects and meeting stringent deadlines while having the ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities is a must.
• The right candidate must have a design related degree and a minimum of one year work experience and be able to demonstrate solid experience of working across a range of digital media projects.
• You must be proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver.
• Ability to work quickly from concept creation to finished product and be detail-oriented, deadline driven, and able to multi-task with solid organisational and time management.
• A sense of humour, a passion for modern digital design and an interest in food and the UK restaurant industry is a plus.
This role might also suit someone returning to work. If you have a portfolio which can showcase inspiring and exciting graphic design then please send your CV and two examples of your best work to email@example.com.
Position: Events Manager [Maternity Cover]
Contract: Minimum 8 months contract – with possible extension up to 1 year
Position reports to: Head of Marketing
Position responsible for: Line Management of Event Planner
Hours: 40 hours per week (plus some working out of normal office hours)
Annual leave: 25 days per annum plus Bank holidays
Application Deadline: 30th November 2015
Work to commence: 1st February 2016
Contact: Chloe Kingham, 020 7840 5240020 7840 5240 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send your CV to Chloe Kingham, email@example.com. Please ensure you include Events Manager [Maternity Cover] in the subject heading of your email.
Responsible for overseeing, managing and implementing Square Meal’s portfolio of events including industry exhibitions, awards, competitions and dedicated client events.
- • Organise a range of events from intimate trade wine tastings to large business-to-business exhibitions with over 11,000 attendees.
- • Build and maintain important relationships with clients and suppliers
- • Manage Monomax events across all products including Venues & Events Ltd, Imbibe Media Ltd and Square Meal.
- • Manage multiple projects to strict deadlines.
- • Co-ordinate complex event logistics.
- • Liaise with the industry audience of Square Meal and Imbibe.
- • Manage the Events Planner who supports on all of the above.
- • Day to day responsibilities include:
- • Overseeing events from start to finish
- • Liaising with a variety of clients and partners including premium drinks brands, luxury products, high-end restaurants and venues
- • Liaise with all areas of the business including marketing, editorial, sales and design
- • Supporting the marketing team with creative ideas for communications
- • Managing event budgets
- • Recruiting competition judges and guest speakers
- • Fostering good relationships with drinks industry professionals
- • Co-ordinating exhibition features, seminars, speakers and equipment
- • Planning event signage, furniture, lighting and sound
- • Venue sourcing, liaising with sponsors, nominees and judges
- • Event ticket management
Skills & Experience Required
- • Educated to degree level or equivalent
- • Minimum 3 to 5 years previous experience of managing events
- • Experience of working on exhibitions
- • Excellent communication, negotiation and networking skills
- • Experience and working knowledge of databases
- • A proven track record in implementing and managing events including budget control.
- • Excellent project management, organisation, planning and coordination skills
- • A good team player with the ability to work well individually and as part of a wider team
- • Flexibility and willingness to work outside normal office hours when the occasion demands
- • Proven experience of multi-tasking and managing a heavy workload to tight timelines
- • Excellent administration / IT and planning skills (proficient in Word, Outlook and Excel)
- • Excellent communication, negotiation and networking skills
- • Creative problem solving
- • Excellent attention to detail and methodical approach to all work
The various departments at Square Meal often have openings for internships. While these positions are unpaid, you will gain invaluable hands-on experience of working for a market-leading media owner with products including magazines, websites, exhibitions and events. A successful internship can result in a positive reference for your CV and sometimes a more permanent role, if there is a suitable vacancy.
We currently have internship vacancies in the following departments:
Marketing - contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Events - contact email@example.com