Ornate both outside & in, Tom’s is a Grade II-listed building which has been presided over by 30 innkeepers since it was opened by Thomas Studd in 1870. Outside, the narrow frontage is tiled with decorative terracotta, while polished green tiles glow in the two-room bar. Beers on tap include Black Sheep, Flowers IPA & Joseph Holt’s Bitter, & the wine list is extensive enough to cope with hearty food such as corned beef hash & steak & kidney pudding. At the back of the pub, summer brings extra seating on the fringes of St Ann’s Square (be warned: do not sit on the gravestones). Table service by waistcoated staff contributes to the general air of tradition & ease, although it might be quicker to stand at the bar.