20 August 2014

17 Bury Place, London WC1A 2JB

Italian Bloomsbury, Fitzrovia
Be the first to rate this restaurant Write Your Review

Il Castelletto says ?

Il Castelletto is the sort of restaurant we’re assured exists around every corner of London but which prove, in fact, to be extremely rare. Located just a short meander from Bloomsbury Square, between Great Russell Street and Bloomsbury Way, Il Castelletto is an Italian dining room with professional, almost theatrical service, cosy surroundings and great, typically Italian food. The modern décor of the dining room maintains a traditional feel in the combination of deep wine-red and carbonara-ish cream, yet the choice of clean-lined furnishings and neatly laid tables makes it feel brand new. On the menu, most importantly, is a whole range of dishes, ranging from hearty pasta picks to light salads and meat and fish grills, all cooked in the authentic style and served up in generous portions – especially considering the very affordable prices. A full wine list accompanies, heavy of course on the Italian wines, and a dessert list is well worth leaving a little space for.

This review has been provided by a Square Meal partner. It is not necessarily the view of Square Meal. Please feel free to add your own comment or review here.

Click here to read our diners’ reviews, or write your own

Got a blog?

Add your blog review of Il Castelletto to Square Meal

Win fab prizes • Attract traffic to your blog • Add prestige to your blog Find out how

1. The girlfriend managed to bag a three-course meal for two people for just £28 from Groupon - bargain!  We obviously looked at some reviews first; the location was Il Castelletto - an Italian restaurant near Holborn, London.  It had some positive (albeit limited) feedback and we had the whole a la carte menu to choose from rather than being restricted to a set menu, so the deal looked worth trying.I started off with deep fried whitebait, which is one of my favourites.  Deep fried fish - what's not to like? Il Castelletto's whitebait was not bad; it could have been a bit crispier, but still a good start.Whitebait with tartar sauce.The girlfriend went with the Amore Proscilitto Di Parma, which is rigatoni with parma ham and olives in a tomato sauce.  It received a solid report; well-cooked pasta, tasty sauce, nicely presented - and the parma ham worked well. Amore Proscilitto Di ParmaSadly, I really disliked my main - the Saltimbocca Alla Romana (veal with parma ham and sage).  It sounds really good on paper, hence why I ordered it, but it had an overbearing sickly sweet taste - almost candy-like.  It's difficult to describe, but I've not experienced that taste before.  I like sweet meats (Chinese char siu being a favourite), but this took it to another level.Veal - too sweet!Onto desserts, we got a generous-sized tiramisu.  I'm not a tiramisu fan, so I'm yet to taste one that I would describe as spectacular, but this one was at least on a par with most others I've tasted - so no complaints. For £14 per head, I'd definitely consider it again (even with the sickly sweet veal) and it's ideal if you're in London and looking for a place to meet friends after work. I'm not sure if the deal is still available, but keep checking Il Castelletto's page on Groupon if you're interested in the deal we got.Closest station: Holborn