Sukho

Thai

SquareMeal Review of Sukho

One reader’s claim that this is “still the best Thai in town” overstates the case, but there’s no doubting that unassuming Sukho Thai is the real deal when it comes to authentic South-East Asian cuisine. House specialities show a “wonderful balance of spicing” – witness pla tod sam rod (whole, de-boned sea bass with a chilli, tamarind and lemongrass sauce) or plah tuna (a salad of thinly sliced tuna in lemongrass and fresh mint vinaigrette). Otherwise, multicoloured steamed dumplings are “a treat in themselves”, and the menu also accommodates the usual satays, curries, stir-fries and noodles. The dimly lit, dark-wood interior is in line with nearby sibling Suksan, although it undoubtedly plays second fiddle to the accomplished cooking and “amazingly accommodating staff”.

Good to know about Sukho

Reviews of Sukho

Peter S

Still the Best Thai In Town
30 November 2014
We had selection largely of the House Specialities, all of which were delicious with wonderful balance of spicing, especially the duck and king prawn. Only minor criticism: vegetable dish was watery and bland, could have been done with more imagination

Stewart H

01 May 2012
We booked a table at Sukho for my wife's birthday on the recommendation of a friend, and overall we were pleased with the quality and quantities of our food, with one or two minor quibbles regarding overly sweet dishes. The highlight was the duck in tamarind sauce with caramelised orange (currently pictured on their website). Service was extremely polite and friendly, if a little patchy – my wife was served the wrong dish, and by the time her choice was brought to the table, I had finished mine (with some help from her). The wine list was somewhat limited, but reasonably priced. The only real disappointment was a consequence of the tables being very close together. We were cheek-by-jowl with a table of four people whose conversation rather dominated our area of the restaurant. We learned much more than we wanted to know about their skiing holidays, a forthcoming trip to New York, choice of schools and 40th birthday preparations, among other things. I don't expect fellow diners to converse in whispers, and I certainly wouldn't condemn people for enjoying themselves, but the volume was too much at times.

Ms/Mrs. Cathy D

13 July 2011
tables are too close together… i had trouble getting into the seat and i am a slim person!

Mr. Stephen S

25 November 2009
tables too close together, service was slow and the food average. shame was looking forward to it

Ms/Mrs. Joan W

19 June 2009
My partner worked in Thailand for some time, and several friends who have lived in the region have come to dine here with us over the years. For my part, am a pretty expert Thai cook. So from that blended perspective, I can unreservedly say, the food is sensational. Yes, the portions are modest but the quality is stunning and that does compensate. The originality, sensitive seasoning and handling of the ingredients is first class. Every person who I have introduced to Sukho has come back independently to dine there, and I cannot remember ever having a disappointing meal.

Other restaurants near Sukho

You are requesting to book Sukho for people on at