Chinese, Dim Sum

SquareMeal Review of Shikumen Shepherd's Bush

Housed in the Dorsett Hotel, Shikumen’s flagship restaurant has a spacious, stylish dining room set alongside a hand-carved wooden bar where tea, cocktails and saké are served. At lunchtime, try the handmade dim sum as an alternative to the main menu and set lunches. We enjoyed fried golden seafood rolls with mango sauce, prawn and bean curd-skin cheung fun, and colourful xiao long bao dumplings filled with spicy pork or lobster with black truffle. Signature dishes include authentic Peking duck, carved at table and presented as two servings: first stuffed into pancakes and pillowy bao buns (the crisp, savoury skin dipped in icing sugar), followed by a clear, comforting duck-bone broth. Dishes such as meltingly tender Wagyu beef, stone-grilled tableside and served with earthy black truffle oil, add a touch of luxury, while a beautifully presented dragon fruit platter makes a refreshing dessert. An elegant destination for authentic dim sum.

Chinese, Dim Sum

Reviews of Shikumen Shepherd's Bush

Ms/Mrs. Elizabeth B

Good dim sum
22 October 2018
Went there for Sunday lunch with no booking and despite being full were accommodated well. The service was ok - nothing bad just not much personality. We all had the dim sum and everyone on the table enjoyed everything - really good and not over priced at all. Would recommend

I would stick to the Dim Sum
15 February 2016
After visiting for a lunch time session of Dim Sum, I thought I'd try again for the A La Carte option. Overall conclusion: stick to the dim sum. Service was extremely friendly; we were greeted upon arrival by a lovely waiter who led us straight to our table. It did however become tricky as the night went on having to ask a few times before we could order drinks and our meal. We started with the mixed veg and seafood Dim Sum which was lovely as always. Sea food dim sum was properly filled with prawns and scallops and although delicious the filling for the veg dim sum consisted of the same mixed mushroom stuffing. I felt our mains however were not as impressive. Unfortunately they had no Tofu that night so I could not order my favourite dishes. We tried the braised aubergine with minced chicken, beef and red wine stir fry, scallops and asparagus in XO sauce, seafood noodles in egg sauce and stir fried veg. The seafood noodles arrived bursting with well-cooked seafood however after some time as the noodles cooled they became slightly gluey. While the flavours were excellent with the other dishes I found them extremely oily. The sauce in the aubergine hot pot was purely oil and in the beef it had separated so the bright oil was extremely visible which was slightly off putting. For desserts I tried the mixed platter. If you like the flavours of Asian desserts this is perfect. The mango pudding was delicious as was the almond pudding- the jelly has the interesting consistency having been made with Agar-Agar, but this is a personal preference. I will definitely return but will stick to lunch time sessions so I can enjoy the variety of dim sum they have to offer.

Ms/Mrs. Rebecca L

Excellent food but some improvements required
07 May 2015
My boyfriend and I visited as the dim sum had been recommended to us. Unfortunately, they don’t make it clear on the website that they only serve dim sum at lunch time, so that was very disappointing. We had a drink in the bar first which didn’t make matters much better – it’s a little soulless and the drink I ordered was so disgusting (a peach Bellini – in a champagne glass with a pink neon straw, what?) it had to be sent back. I don’t think I’ve ever sent a drink back before. So far, not good. However, things improved when we were seated in the restaurant which is intimate and nicely decorated. The service was excellent, well paced and effective. Our dim sum starter was delicious and beautifully presented. Our duck main was superb, really well cooked. But then it went down hill again slightly. We didn’t have dessert as I asked if a particular dish contained peanuts and the reply was ‘I’ll go and look on the box...’ at which point I said not to worry! I’d definitely go again, just for the food, but I think a few improvements need to be made.

Other restaurants near Shikumen Shepherd's Bush

You are requesting to book Shikumen Shepherd's Bush for people on at .