Lucy’s on a Plate

Call Lucy’s on a Plate to make a booking on:

SquareMeal Review of Lucy’s on a Plate

Lucy’s has been around, in one form or another for 20-odd years, & now offers the delightful deli, the main restaurant, bistro & cooking courses. Found on a quiet side-street in tourist-heavy Ambleside, the main eatery charms in a quirky 80s sort of way: twinkly lights and candles offsetting bare boards and junk-shop furniture. Food is rustic and tasty. ‘McGinty’s slice’ involves a circle of savoury dough bread with sundried tomatoes, olives and herbs, grilled with goat’s cheese and balsamic syrup, or dive into ‘SS terrine’ (salmon and scallops combined, served with mixed leaves). Mains are substantial – and the puns worse: ‘seventies chick’ is chicken supreme wrapped in bacon, with sauteed potatoes, spinach & wild mushroom sauce, while ‘lamb rumpy pumpy’ delivers Lakeland lamb with sweet potato mash, Jerusalem artichokes and rosemary jus. Lucy’s has also built a reputation on the pudding front with over 30 chalked up on a board, all made in house: clotted cream rice pudding, Westmorland toffee apple crumble or Jamie’s wicked chocolate tart (yep, a pukka recipe donated by the great geezer himself).

Modern European

Location for Lucy’s on a Plate

Church Street, Ambleside, Ambleside, Cumbria, LA22 0BU

01539 432288

Mon-Sun 10am-6pm 6-9pm

Reviews of Lucy’s on a Plate

Ms/Mrs. BES T

26 May 2011
5 Thumbs Down for the most overrated restaurant in Cumbria! I bought into the hype and went straight to Lucy's on my 1st night in the Lake District, and my was I disappointed!!! The service was so horrible that I actually left feeling unhappy; the food looked like something out of a supermarket take-away bag… and I have no doubt that the drab salad leaves were exactly that! The dessert was nothing like the glorious pudding I'd anticipated, and the cost for all my dismay was way, way too high!! I eat out a lot (twice a week of late) as I travel quite a bit with my job, so I've learnt to be very accommodating of different eateries and regional tastes, but heavens!!! Lucy's is flailing on all counts! The hostess was outrightly rude, the waitresses depressingly dull, and the duck no better than a "2 dine for £10? supermarket special! Plus what is WITH the menu??! I'm only 27 and I was struggling to read it! It's neither cute nor cool… get a graphic designer, or go to a professional printers, that is just poor! I imagine that Lucy (and oh how I'd love to meet her and tell her to her face what I make of her establishment) thinks it's very clever to name drop guests on her menu, but I think her time would be better spent actually preparing the menu items! My deepest sympathies go out to anyone who actually paid to attend her cooking classes! Wow… my displeasure runs deep, but I'll stop here, with 1 final comment on hygiene: my table was sticky and dirty and despite my request to have it cleaned, it remained so! I've never felt so uncomfortable at even a local kebab shop, it was horrid!! All in all: Lucy's On a Plate = Deep Dissatisfaction On a Plate! (…and in the décor, and in the service… and in the whole squalid affair!!)

Other restaurants near Lucy’s on a Plate

You are requesting to book Lucy’s on a Plate for people on at .