The Royal Horticultural Society’s ‘Grow Your Own Veg’ campaign is being supported by Conran Restaurants, which will be supplying recipe cards from its various leading head chefs to provide new
ideas on how to cook home grown produce. The RHS campaign coincides with the start of a new BBC2 called Grow Your Own Veg, which encourages people to grow vegetables and shows novice growers
how to get the best out of their space, whether it be a balcony or a back garden.
The first major event of the campaign is ‘Grow Your Own Veg Day’ on 10 February, when all four RHS Gardens will be offering free entry and providing visitors with complimentary RHS Starter packs
containing seeds, a vegetable garden poster, gardening tips plus a set of six recipe cards, each focusing on a different set of vegetables. The chefs have chosen to feature some of their celebrated
dishes, which regularly appear on their restaurant menus when ingredients are seasonally available.
· Potatoes and artichokes - Artichokes à la Barigoule by James Walker, Le Pont de la Tour
· Root vegetables - Root Vegetable Hash by Shannon Whitmore, Butler's Wharf Chop House
· Beans and peas - Summer Potage of Broad Beans, Green Hammock Hock and Soft Herbs by Mark Broadbent, Bluebird
· Brassicas - Purple Sprouting Broccoli with ramsoms or allium ursinum by Peter Weeden, Paternoster Chop House
· Salads - Beetroot Salad by Jeremy Lee, Blueprint Café
· Pumpkins and Squashes - Butternut Squash Soufflé by Craig James, Quaglino's
For a chance to sample these dishes, visit the featured restaurants from spring onwards, where sets of recipe cards will be available to customers upon request.