Find and book great restaurantsFind a Restaurant
|Address:||The Square, Cartmel, Cumbria LA11 6QD|
|Price: £39.00||Wine: £15.00||Champagne: £40.00|
|Opening Hours:||Mon-Sun 12N-2.30pm 6.30-9.30pm|
This review hasn't been rated yet.
This is where L’Enclume serve breakfast, and as one would expect it is very good. Superbly prepared fresh fruit salad importantly served at peak ripeness with a wide variety of fruits and a separate pot of yoghurt lightly flavoured with vanilla alongside. Full English breakfast, cooked properly and served neatly provides a good start to the day – there are other choices.
The evening we dined here, the food was not as good as expected :
1) The scallop and pea soup dish was cooked correctly but a little more soup and a few more peas would have suited me. I like hot food to be served hot, but both seafood and soup were not warm enough.
2) Partner’s starter was a treat and his main course was good.
3) My main was unremarkable and the celeriac over-powered the fish, whilst the flavour of crab in the crispy coating seemed to dissipate rapidly as did the crisp texture.
4) Wine was very good; dessert not ordered
5) Service was let down by one member of staff who seemed to think that under Simon Rogan's name a restaurant is beyond criticisim. What this young man needs to remember is that a chef is only ever as good as the last meal he cooks. His attitude was wrong and he completely lacked grace – in his view the customer could not be right and then deserves to be overlooked. Hardly an attitude which would impress. The girls and the other male staff member were polite, efficient and much better trained.